VILLAGE OF ARDEN
DRAFT OF MINUTES, MARCH 3, 2008
The Meeting was called to Order by Advisory Chairman Bill Theis at 7:40 PM at the Buzz Ware Village Center.
The following were in attendance
Connee McKinney Bill Theis
Cookie Ohlson Steven Threefoot
Denis O'Regan Elizabeth Varley
Warren Rosenkranz Cecilia Vore
Sue Rothrock Larry Walker
Connee McKinney reported that the Land Rent bills have mostly gone out. Elizabeth said that most of bills have been sent.
The Judge called a meeting of the Buckingham Green lawsuit parties one week after the last Town Meeting, and our lawyer said that the conference was encouraging for our position. Connee read a section of the letter. The lawyer for the Buckingham Greene developer mentioned to our lawyer out of the courtroom that they might consider an appeal if the remedy decision goes against his client.
There is only one lease transferred scheduled for March.
Debbie Harrison is no longer the Brandywine Accounting contact, because she has had to spend too much time out of the office dealing with other clients, which has not left sufficient time for Arden’s business. The owner Ron Spinks personally has taken over handling our account.
Elizabeth Varley said that if committees want expenses paid this year, any and all vouchers must be submitted by March 15 to be paid before March 25, 2008. Elizabeth said that, at the request of our auditor, no new business will be done during the period March 25-31, 2008. Business will start again on April 1.
ARCHIVES - No Report
AUDIT- Cookie Ohlson
Cookie Ohlson reported that she had looked over the books at Brandywine Accounting Service, and discussed things with Ron Spinks. She made him aware of the Annual Audit by Corcoran and Company, which he did not know of. Elizabeth Varley said that Joe Hessling of Corcoran and Company will send her a letter with the information he will need from the Accountant to perform the Audit, and then she will get that information and other records together. This usually takes place in May, and she will work with Brandywine Accounting to make sure that they have the information ready at the requested time.
BUDGET – Jeff Politis
Jeff Politis reported that they are looking at the three-year Budget Projection, and the County and school tax increases are being considered.
BWVC - No Report
CIVIC - Sue Rothrock
Sue reported that the Village has received the honor of being “Tree City USA” again
There is confusion about the recycling of yard waste, and she will again explain at the Meeting how the pickups must work.
Parking on Sherwood Green has torn up the grass, and left many ruts. Though it is great that there are so many major functions going on at the Gild Hall, it has taken a toll on the grassy parking areas.
Elizabeth said that the Arden Club Board is well aware of the situation, had discussed it at their last meeting, and is more than willing to work with Civic on a solution. The Club is looking to find a long-term solution to the overflow parking situation. But they have not held a conversation with Civic as yet. Steve Threefoot said that the parking for the BWVC is not sufficient. The BWVC and Civic Committees need to work with the Arden Club to find a long-term solution to parking in that area.
FOREST – Elizabeth Varley
Elizabeth Varley asked that the Approval of the Forest Stewardship Policy be put early in the Agenda, and this was agreed to. The tree work at the Ridings has been completed
PLAYGROUND – Larry Walker
Larry reported that the required inspection has been made, and that additional wood carpet will be installed under the equipment.
REGISTRATION -Cecilia Vore
Cecilia asked for the nominees for the various Committees. She went around the table, and asked the various committees that needed candidates to have them by this Friday. They are needed so that the names can be included in the Town Meeting Notice and Minutes. David Michelson has agreed to run for Town Treasurer, and a short bio will be included in the Town Meeting Notice. Cookie asked if it were a problem with David being a member of the Audit Committee, where he is filling in the un-expired term of Christine Dempsey. Steve suggested that David not run for re-election to the Audit Committee.
Cecilia asked that the voting take place early in the Meeting, and this was agreed to
The Trustee Election has been set for April 7, 2008. The ballot has been sent to the printer, and the envelopes will be stuffed over the weekend. The Ballots will be mailed Monday March 10, 2008, and there will be a “Meet the Trustee Candidate” time at the BWVC on Sunday March 16 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Cecilia announced that she has recused herself from the Trustee Referendum, because it is her husband who is running.
Cecilia said that she would write up the procedure to be followed for the election process, since some individuals in the Town appear to have incorrect understandings of what is to happen.
The Committee Nominees are as follows:
AUDIT Cookie Ohlson*
BUDGET Jack Dolmetsch*
BWVC Nancy Ellis
CIVIC Carol Larson
Carol Ann Wilcock
COMMUNITY Brooke Bovard
PLANNING Michael Falstad*
FOREST Alan Burselm
PLAYGROUND Patrick Barry
John Stevenson *
REGISTRATION Lizzie Broadbent
SAFETY Barney King
ADVISORY CHAIR Bill Theis*
CHAIR OF TOWN Steven Threefoot*
TOWN Larry Walker*
TOWN David Michelson
NOTE: * = incumbent
Denis reported that the Committee wants to have the first reading of an Ordinance. Denis asked Sue Rothrock about the “Intersection Audit for Safety,” and she wants to have a form letter prepared so that her committee can fill it in. There are three or four intersections that are problematic, and action is needed. The Safety Committee will take action if there is a severe safety issue, but they would prefer to go through the notification process first.
Sue asked what had happened in regard to the problem person on Walnut Lane. Elizabeth said that the Safety Committee’s Registered Letter had been sent to the person, but the letter was refused and returned. Denis said that he wanted the letter for the Committee’s records.
Steve asked what was the process to be used in dealing with this problem, and Denis said that there had only been one letter sent. Steve suggested that two more letters be sent, and then go to the “Stick on Labels” on the windshield . The issue is that there has been parking on the right of way, and there usually is a car parked in the Walnut Lane-Inn Lane intersection
COMMUNITY PLANNING – Ray Siegfried
Ray reported that Bev Barnett brought up the issue of putting Arden on the Delaware Heritage Workshop on their map. This is used as a way of informing outside individuals that the Town might be a good place for tourists to visit. Some do not want casual visitors
Jeff asked if the Committee should make that decision, and Steve said that this was where to start the process.
Ruth Bean wanted to put up a sign along Harvey Road to indicate the location of the Arden Memorial Garden, since outside people have a problem find the spot. This seemed to be a sensible suggestion, Ardentown has a sign at their Memorial Garden. However, if a sign is put on Harvey Road, they probably will park there, which could be a safety and legal problem. Steve suggested that Community Planing and Ruth Bean work on this.
Woods Cleanup will be April 19, 2008
Steve suggested that The Forest Committee take care of the entire Woods Cleanup. Originally Civic was not given that responsibility, since it had other things to do, and it was given to Community Planning.
Update on ADUs
County Council has approved our draft solution, so thing appear to be in place to start our process after the Third Reading of the Ordinance, and the final vote.
There was as a question about the registration of domiciles, and whether the Renter would have to register. Once Chapter 19 was amended, incorporated municipalities were given the option of being covered and complying with registration of rental units. Years ago, Arden had opted out, so there will be no requirement for registration.
The lawyer said that Chapter 19 was a way of giving the tenants a bill or rights, but Chapter 7 does have a description of conditions that must be maintained. This leaves the Town out of the random inspections done by the County. Ray got a legal opinion that Paragraph 9 does not apply does not apply, and Steve suggested that this opinion be given to the Town in written form.
Steve suggested that Ray not pass out at the Meeting the copy of the legislation that passed, since there should be no discussion since this has passed. Ray said that The Ordinance will passed out, and there will be the Third Reading of the Ordinance.
Steve said that the first item will be the Third Reading., and the approval of the Forest Stewarship policy whole be done right after that. Then there will be committee reports
Connee asked for the timing of the letter that will be sent out to the Arden leasholders with ADUs. Ray said it will be at the time that the county ordinance is put into effect, which is 90 days after the legislation has been passed. The Arden process must start either 90 days after NCC passed the Ordinance, or 30 days from the time Arden puts its procedure in place, whichever date is the later date.
Steven said that there was agreement that there would be three things on the Agenda, and they will be the Elections, the Third Reading, and the Approval of the Forest Stewardship Policy
Denis said that he had concerns about the wording of parts of the Forest Stewardship Policy, and he intended to raise a concern about parts of the policy. Steve suggested that Denis take his concerns to the Forest Committee first, since that is the appropriate place to start. Steve emphasized that what will be presented is a policy, and not rules and regulations. A policy allows flexibility for individual situations and circumstances.
Denis was concerned that the group that brought up the issue of the prospective new school at the January Town Meeting left after their presentation was completed, and when they and their supporters left the Meeting, the Quorum was lost. He suggested that Steve, in a neighborly fashion, ask any special interest group to stay through the meeting, both, as a courtesy and an exchange for being included in the Town Meeting without first going through the Advisory Committee process.
Communication was received from the County about a County supported Drug Discount program for people with no medical insurance. Steve asked if it was appropriate to bring this to the Town Assembly, and there was agreement that it was OK.
Steve asked if anyone was planning to go to the Annual Meeting of State Association of Local Governments, and Bill Theis, Denis O'Regan, and Larry Walker are interested. The FAA issue is one that could be brought up.
Connee felt that there was concern to withdraw from the FAA suit, and she asked if there was sentiment to end this involvement. Steve said that the Town was the group that approved the Motion, and they would have to approve any withdrawing of involvement.
There is wireless drop at the Gild Hall in the Library, and at the Craft Shop. Verizon still has to set up the drop at the BWVC.
There is a likelihood that Sprint Mobile might go bankrupt, since they reported having serious financial problems. This company situation should be followed by the Budget Committee, since the Sprint annual payment is part of the Town’s revenue stream.
There is another meeting of the AD HOC Committee tomorrow about Schroerder, and their report should be early on. It was suggested that their report be a part of the Advisory Committee Report.
The role and responsibility
We have an official web site, but there is no one in the Village who actually “owns” the site. The initial suggestion was for the Advisory Chair should be responsible, and that Danny will be employed by him. There needs to be a “Point Person” to both approve the payments, and to provide editorial supervision.
Ray asked if the various committees should be able to build their own web site, but there was a concern to see how this will work out in actuality. Initially, there needs to be a person representing the Village with Danny, and this person can ensure that there is continuity, correctness, and appropriate
Buzz Ware Village Center Committee will do cookies and refreshments at the March Meeting.
Larry Walker, Town Secretary